Skip to main content

Student Accessibility Services

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

How can Student Accessibility Services help with my disability in college?


We help students with disabilities obtain reasonable accommodations to provide equal access and opportunities in their academic courses, degree programs and related support services. Appropriate services are determined on an individualized basis and may include housing or dining accommodations, classroom access, testing accommodations, accessible textbooks, assistive technology and other services based on disability-related need.

If I had 504 or IEP in high school will my accommodations be the same in college?


There are some accommodations that may remain the same but a 504 or IEP does not automatically transfer to your university. Students must register with OSU Student Accessibility Services and complete an intake to determine reasonable accommodations based on how their diagnosis impacts them.  Accommodations are tools that students use to ensure equal access to education. Modifications (such as the ability to retake a test if below a certain grade, a shortened exam, or reduction in assignments) are NOT accommodations and are not granted at the University level. Students with accommodations must meet the same academic, technical, professional requirements and standards as all other students.

What is considered a disability?


A disability is any physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such a person’s major life activities. Some examples of disabilities include, but are not limited to:


Mental health conditions – Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, PTSD

Cognitive/Learning Disorders – ADHD, Learning Disabilities, Autism

Chronic Medical – Diabetes, Chron’s Disease, Lupus, Chronic Migraines

Sensory – Hearing Loss, Vision Loss

Neurological/Mobility – Brain Injury, Seizure Disorder, Multiple Sclerosis

If I need a specific housing assignment because of my diagnosis, what do I do?


Students who need housing accommodations must register with SAS. Once the online application and documentation has been received, the students will need to send an email with your specific housing request to SAS at In this email, students will identify the type of accommodations they will need (i.e., shaker bed, first floor room, ADA room, private bedroom/bathroom, special height desk/bed, etc.). SAS will notify ResLife/Housing of the student’s housing accommodations. ResLife/Housing will then place the student wherever there is availability on campus that meets those accommodation needs.

I already completed an intake appointment with SAS last semester, do I need to re-register each new semester?


No, you do not need to go through the registration process again every semester. If you are already registered with SAS, when you register for classes at the beginning of each semester, you will simply log in to your AIM profile and request your accommodation letters for your new courses. If you are having trouble remembering how to do this, please see the tutorial labeled “How To Request My Accommodation Letter” under the tutorial section on our home page.

What if I am already registered for accommodations with SAS but I received a new diagnosis?


If students receive a new diagnosis after their intake appointment, they will need to provide documentation of the diagnosis to SAS. Once received, the student would need to schedule an accommodation review appointment. SAS staff will then add any necessary accommodations to the students AIM profile and accommodation letter.

I got injured playing basketball with my friends and now I need to have surgery to repair my knee. Can SAS help me?


Yes! SAS can help students with temporary accommodations for surgeries, medical treatments, broken limbs, etc. Students would register for temporary accommodations by completing the online application and providing documentation of the injury, surgery, etc. SAS will then complete an intake appointment with the student and make sure to get them set up with any accommodations they may need while recovering.

I sent my accommodation letter to my professor, and we discussed my accommodations for his/her course, but I am not receiving all of my accommodations. What do I do?


Students who are not receiving accommodations will need to first reach out to their professor/instructor by email and see if a resolution can be met as soon as possible. If the professor/instructor is unresponsive or students are not satisfied with the answer they receive, they will need to contact SAS by email with the course name, professor name and details of any communication they have had with the professor/instructor. This will grant SAS the permission they need to advocate on the student’s behalf.

Will my accommodations or diagnosis be visible to other campus departments or show up on my transcript?


No. Any information about student accommodations is stored securely within SAS department. Student’s are in control of requesting their accommodation letters each semester and those letters listing the accommodations are only sent to the professor of record for each course the student chooses to use their accommodations for. Student’s diagnoses are never shared outside of the SAS office and all student documentation is protected under both HIPAA and FERPA laws.

How do I request my accommodation letter?


Once students have registered and completed the intake appointment they will be able to request their accommodation letter. Students can request their letter by following the directions below:


  1. Go to our website at
  2. Click on the orange icon labeled “AIM Users”.
  3. Select “Student and Staff sign in”.
  4. Enter your OSU email address that ends in and your password then select “Login”.
  5. Select the boxes next to the courses you want to receive accommodations for.
  6. Select “Continue to Customize Your Accommodations”.
  7. DO NOT uncheck the preselected boxes.
  8. Select “Submit Your Accommodation Letter Request”.
Back To Top
SVG directory not found.